Saturday, October 15, 2011

One more bites the dust

Well, what a month! First it was Steve Jobs, now it is Dennis Ritchie. The famous K & R Book was a bible for all of us doing comp sci in the 80s. I got my first copy in 1982 in my first visit to Oracle (in 3000, Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park -- Oracle's first office with just a couple of hundred employees). I used this copy extensively, true to the Tamil phrase "padicchi kizhichiitten". I had to buy a second copy in 1991 or so. This is one of the very few comp sci books I preserve. It is still a joy to read the various strcat and strcmp programs, each one smaller than the previous one.

One of my friends posted this Facebook today:
#include
int main(argc, argv)
int argc;char *argv[];
{... printf("Goodbye World...\n");}

RIP Dennis Ritchie

No comments: